The Town of Essex is seeking members to sit on the Town of Essex Municipal Elections Compliance Audit Committee. The Committee must be established before Friday July 15, 2022.
In accordance with Sections 88.33 to 88.37 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, the Compliance Audit Committee will consider applications requesting compliance audits of financial statements filed by candidates and registered third party advertisers following the 2022 Municipal Election.
The committee will operate as a quasi-judicial committee, preference will be given to auditors, accountants, lawyers and other individuals with knowledge of campaign finance rules. Prior experience on a committee, task force or tribunal would be an asset.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest highlighting relevant experience and qualifications before Friday June 24, 2022, by 4:30 pm.
The Committee performs duties related to the compliance audit application process as outlined in the Act including:
- considering a compliance audit application received by an elector and deciding whether the application should be granted or rejected;
- appointing an Auditor if the application is granted;
- receiving and reviewing the Auditor’s report and deciding whether legal proceedings should be commenced; and
- determining whether to recover the costs of conducting the compliance audit from the applicant, if the Auditor’s report indicates there were no apparent contraventions and, if there were no reasonable grounds for the application.
Applications will not be accepted from:
- Employees or officers of the municipality;
- Members of Essex Town Council;
- Candidates in the election for which the Committee is established or family members or employees of same, or any person connected to a candidate through an employment, contractual, business or partnership relationship;
- Any persons who are Registered Third Party Advertisers in the election for which the committee is established or family members of employees of same, or any person connected to a Registered Third Party Advertiser through an employment, contractual, business or partnership relationship; or
- Any person who is or intends to volunteer or seek employment to assist any candidate in the election for which the Committee is established.
To apply, please complete the online application form.